DECATUR, GA – Telling nine students and their families that their service to our nation is needed more than ever, Congressman Hank Johnson announced the Georgia Fourth District nominees for the U.S. Military Academies: Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines.
On the day Russia invaded Ukraine in an unwarranted attack, the Congressman used the solemn moment in a virtual event to honor the students for their dedication and bravery.
“During these difficult times, I commend all of you for your dedication, focus and bravery to want to serve our nation in this way,” he said. “Tonight, we celebrate the bright future of our young people who will make up our nation’s armed forces and shed a light on the folks before them that have served our country faithfully with pride, paving the way for the next generation.”
The nominees are:
• Peyton Burks of Southwest DeKalb High School, USAFA
• Shelby Burks of Southwest DeKalb High School, USNA
• Jon-Marc Coote of Wesleyan School, USNA
• John Covert of Lithonia High School, USNA
• Ethan Davis from Parkview High School, USAFA
• Elijah Cruz Gitalado of Lithonia High School, USMA
• Brooklyn Hernandez from Southwest DeKalb High School, Army ROTC
• Naailah Kareem of Arabia Mountain High School, USNA
• James Thompson of Saint Michael the Archangel High School, USMMA
The five military service academies are:
• The United States Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, New York, founded in 1802
• The United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, Maryland, founded in 1845
• The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, Connecticut, founded in 1876
• The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, New York, founded in 1943
• The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado, founded in 1954
Since 2007, Congressman Johnson has awarded more than $41 million in service academy scholarships to more than 100 Fourth District nominees.